Risbee

Flutters and Flails

I"m a girl who likes to read and tell - so I do :)  Make sure you check out my blog - and if you want to follow it, that would be awesome!  http://fluttersandflails.blogspot.com/

On Dublin Street

On Dublin Street  - Samantha Young This is more like a 3.5 - and it is an average of 2 scores because I really want to rate this twice. The story, itself -- I really liked. A lot. I liked the characters and the world and Ellie was a hoot and Braden, when he wasn't going excessively caveman was nummy. Joss was a bit whiny and self-absorbed, but I guess that is understandable when you spend 8 years only relying on yourself and she did acknowledge her issues, so that was a plus. Anyway, I really liked the back and forth between Joss and Braden when they weren't over-thinking or misunderstanding. So yeah, the story was a solid 4-4.5.But then there were the little things. The outfit descriptions...I don't need brand names. All I need is silver dress. Crimson tie. Cufflinks. And not even that most of the time. The story isn't about what designers the characters wore, it has no purpose. The only thing it did was make me roll my eyes. It made them sound like the pompous kid in HS that has to tell everybody about their designer clothes to make themselves feel important. Less is more. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Then let's talk about "Babe". Over 60 times. Sixty. I don't know, maybe it's just me but there is something about a "babe" in a book that is sort of...slimy. So the little things knock it down a few stars for me. I'm not a picky reader and I'm lead by my emotions, so for me to notices things like this...yeah, I couldn't let them go.Still, it was a decent read and while I wanted more from it, I do think the writer has the ability to tell a story and I hope to read more from her in the future.