Risbee

Flutters and Flails

I"m a girl who likes to read and tell - so I do :)  Make sure you check out my blog - and if you want to follow it, that would be awesome!  http://fluttersandflails.blogspot.com/

Deep Autumn Heat: A Loveswept Contemporary Romance

Deep Autumn Heat - Elisabeth Barrett This was more like a 2.5 rounded up to a 3.I'm not sure where to start because I have two vastly different feels about this book. As far as the story and basic plot are concerned, I liked it - and I'll even go as far as to say that I liked it a lot. Barrett did a good job creating warmth within the Star Harbour community and I am intrigued by all of her characters, especially the brothers. And the fact that Seb is a chef that interned for a time with Bobby Flay -- I mean, hello. Sold. Lexie held her own as a strong female, though she was excessively stubborn at times to the point where I wanted to shake her and I have a soft spot for Buster, especially once his past was revealed. For a first book in a series, I liked her balance between creating a community and injecting plot. But then we get to the writing. Holy cow. There was SO MUCH unnecessary...fluff. Detail upon excessive detail upon WAY TOO MUCH DETAIL. I mean, an entire page and a half to describe breakfast? I get that Seb and Lexie are in the culinary world and that food is important to them, but it was just too much. And that isn't the only example - the scene with Lexie's attorney in the restaurant where she signed papers; the in depth descriptions of Seb's apartment and Helena, his restaurant. Don't get me wrong, details are important and have their place - but it was too much and I wish the effort had been given in other places.Then we get to what I unofficially call "pompous" writing. Words that sound pretty, but aren't at all realistic and true. I mean, what guy looks at a girl and notices "the loose curl that had come free from her twist, framing her face in a chestnut chin-length wave." The best analogy I can give would be to compare the fluffy words to doilies on the furniture in my great-grandmother's house. They may be pretty, but in reality they get in the way and make me uncomfortable.Then we get to the word "nubbin"...yes nubbin. Twice. I was picturing this hot chef in the heat of the moment and then boom - it was like getting photo-bombed by Chandler Bing. Sad sad moment.I feel like I have been a bit harsh, and I hate that because when it is all said and done, I did like this story and I will gladly read the next in the series. But I wouldn't be giving a fair review if I didn't point out what ultimately detracts from something that, at its core, is a solid start to a series.