Risbee

Flutters and Flails

I"m a girl who likes to read and tell - so I do :)  Make sure you check out my blog - and if you want to follow it, that would be awesome!  http://fluttersandflails.blogspot.com/

The Pleasures of Winter

The Pleasures of Winter - Evie Hunter I got this as an ARC from Netgalley.This was more like a 2.5-2.75 stars for me, but I'm rounding up and dreaming of the day when you can assign partial stars.I'm perplexed by how I feel about this story. Parts of me enjoyed it, parts of me were confused and wanted more, parts of me were completely offended - but I guess that's my fault for reading a book that was described in part by "If you liked Fifty Shades...". Bad Risbee...bad bad Risbee.Anyhoo...this is the story of secret Dominant movie star Jack and unknowing sub reporter Abbie. Thrown together by chance, their relationship ignites after a plane crash that strands them in a rain forest for 4 days. Pretty cool premise, but then it gets so random that I'm not sure where to take my review. There is non-consensual spanking that is totally not okay even though Abbie eventually decided that it turned her on and Jack realizes that she is a submissive (how convenient). Throw in a wimpy fiance, overbearing family, a best friend who just happens to be a relationship therapist, mysterious bad guys that are chasing Abbie, evil politicians and an Aunt/Uncle who (again, conveniently) happen to live in Ireland which is where Jack just HAPPENS to be from...and that's pretty much the story.It was just too...contrived to work for me. That being said, it was BETTER than Fifty Shades. Abbie does have a bit of a backbone, she is career driven and actually questions what Jack tells her. Aside from the initial spanking incident, Jack takes things relatively slow with Abbie, explaining and making sure she understands all aspects of a D/s relationship.I'm not sure if this a stand alone book. It could be one, but there were ways it could branch out - Kit and Kevin's story, who's chasing Abbie.... Jack's sister. There were so many things going on that weren't resolved...pieces were just missing in the puzzle. I'm a big fan of less is more and in this case, there is too much "more".