Risbee

Flutters and Flails

I"m a girl who likes to read and tell - so I do :)  Make sure you check out my blog - and if you want to follow it, that would be awesome!  http://fluttersandflails.blogspot.com/

Atone: A Fairytale

Reblogged from Flutters and Flails:
Atone: A Fairytale - Jessica Grey

Atone is a retelling of my favorite fairytale, Beauty and the Beast, and is the second in Ms. Grey's Fairytale Series. Since we all know the basic premise of that story, I don't feel the need to restate the obvious, but don't assume that you know everything there is to know about this version.

Because Ms. Grey adds Fae. (How much of a goof does that make me that I'm a little excited that that rhymed?)

Without giving too much away, the story's heroine, Becca, is thrown into a situation that requires her to assist with Nicholas with a situation that is a bit...hairy. Now knowing what I know from the first book, I wasn't exactly sure how this was going to work. Let's just say that I realllly didn't like Nicholas at all. Not even a little bit. But once I had a chance to think about it and once I let myself get drawn in by the story, it totally worked for me. I mean, who better to be the Beast than a bad guy, right?
One thing I do feel the need to include -- While this could technically be read as a standalone as the story comes full circle, I do recommend that you read the first book in the series for back story and more on the ins/outs of Becca and Nicholas's tumultuous history.
As the story progresses, Ms. Grey takes something traditional and so very well known and makes it her own. I loved the magical fae element and how it was both the root of the problem and a big part of the solution. Good/Evil, Beauty/Beast, Terra/Fera...you get the picture. But I also liked the non-fae elements. While the relationship evolution did seem a bit sudden, I found myself enjoying the scenes between Becca and Nicholas. The snark, the chemistry, and the many of "awwwwww" moments made this a solid retelling and one I gladly recommend for somebody looking for a quick and easy read.

You can see this review in its entirety on my blog, Flutters and Flails